The work we do on the land changes with the seasons. Depending on the time of year, the land worker will have the opportunity to learn and contribute to all aspects of the land. Tasks could involve: working in the biodynamically grown vegetable and herb gardens; forestry; feeding and caring for pigs, cows and chickens; milking cows by hand; and working in our orchards. All of these tasks include working with adults who have developmental disabilities in an inclusive way, using person-centered adaptive methods.
It is more important that this individual resonates with the values of our farm and community than that he or she has prior farming skills.We are looking for enthusiastic people with initiative that are comfortable working alongside people who have developmental disabilities.
- 18 years of age or older
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Ability to perform well in environment that requires compassion, helpfulness, patience, and resourcefulness
- Willingness to learn
- Direct care experience preferred
- Ability to lift 50 lbs required
- Willingness to work outdoors in all types of weather
- Ability to pass a background check
- Good communication skills
- Valid Driver’s License preferred
- Passion for working with people of all abilities
- CPR certification required (training provided)
- Star Services training required (training provided)
The biodynamic approach to agriculture, also coming out of Anthroposophy, provides the core tenets of our farming philosophy. In addition to biodynamic principles and practices, land workers will also learn holistic management and permaculture approaches to agriculture and land stewardship. Apprentices will also have the opportunity to collaborate and work with other local farms, including our Amish neighbors.
About the Farm:
CVM Farm is 525 total acres
- 120 acres of permanent pastures
- 100 acres in a legume/grass-based rotation
- three acres of vegetables
- a small orchard and herb garden
- 300 acres of forest and wetlands
Diversity of livestock and produce:
- 20 head grass-fed beef brood herd
- 30 head grass-fed yearling and finisher herd
- 3 head grass-fed dairy cow herd
- Pasture-based four-sow farrowing herd
- 60 hogs finished on farm per year on pasture during growing season
- 70 laying hens
- Broiler chickens done some years
- Diverse vegetable garden grown in the field, and in greenhouses and high tunnel
- Herbal ley hay making, wheat, barley, oats, peas, and buckwheat grown for grains.
- Honey bees
- Sustainable forestry - harvesting for firewood and lumber.
- Permaculture silviculture conversion.
- Orchard of apples, cherries, raspberries, strawberries.
To start an application or to find out more about this position, fill out the inquiry below or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and a cover letter.