ABOUT CAMPHILL VILLAGE MINNESOTA:
Camphill Village Minnesota is a non-profit community of about 50 people in Central Minnesota. Our mission is to create and sustain community where people with and without disabilities live, work, and care for each other to foster social, spiritual, and agricultural renewal. The head weaver in this context is responsible for running a creative workspace within the village and helping produce quality woven goods that can be used in our homes and sold to our surrounding community.
The head weaver is responsible for running the weavery, which involves managing multiple crews a week of 3 to 4 weavers with special needs and assisting them with prep work and maintaining standards of quality in the goods produced. The role is mainly background work, ensuring that our weavers are well supported and prepared for their work on the looms. The weavery currently holds 7 full-sized floor looms. While we primarily produce rag rugs using a variety of recycled material, new project ideas are welcome. Goods are mostly sold at CVM’s Fall Festival Open House, but we would like to begin exploring opportunities to sell at craft fairs around the area throughout the year. Winter is currently dedicated to holding work crews to weave, whereas summer is reserved for the head weaver and supporting coworkers as time for finishing work on the woven items and to prepare for the next season. The weavery is one of many work areas in the community which include homemaking, food processing, gardening, forestry, farming, and art.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
To manage the weavery along side a crew including 3 to 4 persons with special needs.
- Openness to organizing opportunities and trips to sell woven goods.
- Willingness to occasionally train new coworkers or persons with special needs who may or may not have prior experience weaving.
- Complete state mandated and Camphill specific training.
- Openness to “life-sharing.”
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Experience with floor looms, including warping and rug weaving. (minimum 1 year preferred)
- Experience with sewing, machine and hand, highly recommended.
- Experience working with people with special needs. (minimum 1 year preferred)